Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hero, Villain or Sidekick

OK so when I broke up with Roger, (yes it was me that ended it) I had this philosophy on life hit me. Have you ever seen the movie "Sky High"? Well it is about a superhero school and when you first go there you are tested to see if you are going to be a Hero or a Sidekick. And depending on what kind of power you possess you are labeled and put in your corner. I think there are three kinds of people in the world. There are Hero's, they are the one's everyone trust and loves. They hold their chin up high and take on anything that comes their way. They are not afraid of defeat only afraid of what will happen if they don't try. There are Villain's. These are the people who care about no one and will defy anything that stands in their way of their selfish desires. They don't see the world around them for sharing only for taking and possessing. And last of all we have the Sidekicks. These people are the ones who share the standards of the Hero's but don't have the strength to hold themselves up, they need the Hero by their side to help them. They are there to assist in the fight, but not to lead in the battle.

Well when I broke up with Roger it hit me, I want to marry a Hero. Someone absolutely amazing! That's great you say....the only problem is, I am a sidekick. And Hero's and Sidekick's don't get married. Hero's marry other Hero's. And Sidekick's marry other Sidekick's. To be honest I have always wanted to be a Hero. I have always wanted to prove to everyone I can do it, I can be a star! And I am not talking Hollywood star I am talking about a star in life. You know that one lady in your ward or neighborhood that you go she is positively amazing, and you aim to be just like her. I want that to be me. I want to be put together, the one people can rely on, the cool and funny person everyone can't help but love. Yet when it all boils down to why I am not living my life as a hero the base of it is fear. What if I try to be a hero and I fail, fall flat on my face? I don't want to disappoint anyone any more, especially myself.

Yet I am tired of not living up to my true potential. But today I found a talk by President Uchtdorf that has really helped me.

"You can do this! You are part of a special generation. You were prepared and preserved to live at this important time in the existence of our beautiful planet earth. You have a celestial pedigree and therefore have all the necessary talents to make your life an eternal success story.

The Lord has blessed you with a testimony of the truth. You have felt His influence and witnessed His power. And if you continue to seek Him, He will continue to grant you sacred experiences. With these and other spiritual gifts, you will be able not only change your own life for the better but also to bless your homes, wards or branches, communities, cities, states and nations with your goodness."

You know what this says....I am already a Hero. I am already a Hero because I was BORN a Hero! I have all the necessary talents (or powers) to make my life an eternal success story! I don't need to go looking for kryptonite, I am already equipped with superhero powers! I can change myself and also the world for the better. I can do this, I can reach my potential. All I need to do is continue to place my trust in the Lord and live my life as He did and with His help I can become the Hero I have always wanted to be.

6 comments:

JaLesha said...

Wow! What a great post! LOVE the talk you found. It's totally uplifting isn't it?! Awesome analogy with the movie also.

You are too hard on yourself! Anyone that is around you loves you. Just because you might 'follow' other people or be a sidekick lots of the time, doesn't mean that, when it really and truly counts, you can't stand up for yourself and what you believe! (and if you're the sidekick of wonderful people, what's so wrong with that?!) Be true to you and live the way you know you should. Guess what that makes you? Your own hero! (why do you have to be anyone else's??) And when you find this super great guy that is worthy of you (he's out there!), and you have a family with him, you'll be their hero too...just by being you! *big hugs!* Love you! You sound like you're doing good and I'm so glad!

Kami D. said...

When I first met your family, you were in Florida, I think. Stephen wouldn't stop talking about the amazing person that you were and how much he loved to be around you because of your fun personality. I really didn't know what to expect until I met you myself. The first time I met you, I just felt welcomed and included. You have such a big heart and a positive, upbeat personality.

Thank you for being you.

Catmull's said...

Oh sweetie! You are a hero. I have know this since the first day I met you! I'm glad you are realizing this for yourself. You deserve to feel like one. (since you already are). Just make sure that you aren't trying so hard to do everything that you lose yourself. Sometimes being a hero and doing "everything" is just doing your best everyday. A long time ago I heard a saying (I can't remember which prophet said it) but he said "when you do your best, and you usually do..." It's true. You usualy do your best. You don't set out to do something not your best. So keep on being awesome Alissa and know that you are pretty freakin cool the way you are.

(sorry that was long and probably didnt make sense) All well :)

candygirltwo said...

My sweet, cute Alissa, I miss you tons. You are so much to so many people, you are an amazing woman. I love your faith and strength, and you make me laugh. I know how much Heavenly Father has blessed you and will continue to bless you. You have to do what is right for you and things will work out. Keep up your sweet spirit, I have always been impressed with your courage and love of the gospel. I love you sweetie and keep in touch.

corianne schwartz said...

I agree with JaLesha. I think that you are too hard on yourself. Really and truly everyone I know that knows you thinks that you are awesome. Everyone always talks about how funny, sweet and genuine you really are. I do think that sometimes you try and take on too much and then when you can't do it all, it depresses you. But its NOT because you are not a hero. It's just because you don't have enough time in your busy schedule to do it all.
I love you and hope that you are doing better! And I am glad that you are finding what makes Alissa happy.

Hilary said...

You've always been a hero to me Liss!! You've helped me through so many rough times and been my best friend! You wrapped that post up well and need to remember what Pres. Uchtdorf said. I loved the analogies you used. Remember how we talked about writing a book? I really think we should. Seriously. You're a great writer! Love you!